Monday, April 28, 2008

An Epiphany amidst the Abandonwares

~*28th April*~ (Night Time)

A friend came by the house to learn how to use DOSBox to play the old school games from abandonia.com...Thought him how, thanked me and left...Then I got hooked on the games he & I downloaded:

The Lost City Of Atlantis
To tell you the truth, I've never heard of this game before...Apparently, you're playing as MALE Greek NUDE character WHICH was designed by two WOMEN...haha...it sounded rather interesting, so I gave it a shot...not bad for a platform game...though the bad thing is, the game's in German...So...I'm not sure of the story...Didn't play very far...just fooled around abit...seems interesting though...from the description of the game, its during the Greek mythology era...with Poseidon, Harpies and Minotaurs...that sort...You might want to try it out. Hey, how many do you know where you play as a male nude character? LOL!

Double Dragon 2 & 3

Come on guys...Double Dragon?! Need I say more? Surely you've AT LEAST heard about it right? I downloaded it just for kicks...But I didn't remember the enemies being so damn hard...They beat the crap out of me before I could score a single punch! Crap!

Alien Trilogy
I've never played the game before...but I've always wanted to play after watching Aliens...(the second movie of Alien series) The idea using of professional bad-ass marines instead of civilians fighting the aliens were so cool! I've just played the game...great shoot 'em up game...simple & straight forward...The ambiance & the environment of the maps has the same feeling from the movie, Aliens...Great job! :) It would be great if they could make a cooperative game of Aliens...A squad of human marines (players) have to complete objectives while aliens swarm the entire base...Just like in the movie...The recent games of "Aliens vs. Predator" had the best tense feeling when you play as the marines...But too bad it doesn't have cooperative multiplayer...Please make a cooperative of Aliens! Anyone!?

Blood
Never played the game before...played the later versions of it...so I wanted to see how good the first one was...Turns out it was very bloody (literally) good! Duke Nukem(remember him?) attitude with a touch of black magic & demons...and bucket load of blood, guts & gore! If you're into Duke Nukem...you're gonna love this!

The Lost Vikings
A game from Blizzard Entertainment (You know, the one that brought Warcraft & Starcraft? YES! The SAME one! Surprised aren't you??) This game was very popular back then...(Blizzard, anything they do...It always turn to great games...you realize that?) The idea is simple, you control 3 vikings. Each has its unique abilities (Just look at the pic, and you can guess what they are) and you have to control all three abilities to get through the levels...Its really fun and enjoyable! A definite must to play!

Blackthorne
Woooaaaahhhh~! This is game among legends... Remember Prince of Persia?(the 2d platform one...not the 3D ones...) Okay, replace the "shabby-looking-rag-of-a-prince" into this "macho-long-jet-black-hair-biker-looking-guy" character, change the swords to shotguns and you have the coolest game ever during that era! LOL! The graphics were superb (I'm talking about back then okay?) , animations were good, monster details are excellent, puzzles were "not-so-challenging-yet-not-so-easy" kind, fantasy (Orcs & monsters) yet with science fiction into it(force fields, bombs & Orcs with shotguns?)...Okay, its a 2D platform game right? And you have this shotgun see...So you can only shoot enemies in front of you right? Wrong! You can lean against the background wall for cover! Roll towards you're enemy in the next screen, surprising them, and firing a bloody good shot at their backsides! AND the best of all...you can shoot enemies behind you by extending your shotgun arm towards your back while you're facing forward with "as-if-you-give-a-fuck-who's-behind-you" attitude! Totally awesome! Let's just say everything about the game is just so damn cool! How's that? Just download the damn game already & play it yourself!

After playing all these games, I had an epiphany...*poof!* on a new game idea! Weeee~! Took me awhile to fully grasp the ideas in me head...writing it down, finding the right words for it and all that. I have over more than 10 game ideas now(since high school)...There were actually a lot more...but some were lost, revised, scratched, or whatever until it was left to these few that I felt worth creating...I hope someday I could actually create them...Weee~!

No comments: