Friday, April 25, 2008

Ahh~ The good ol' DOS Days...

Old Skool DOS Games...Can't get enough of 'em...

Tried some games from abandonia.com. Totally AWESOME! Miss the good old days...Some of the games description shows some history of the games...telling you this was the first game of its genre and such...Damn...how games grow so fast...Here's the games I tried playing:

Discworld - Its a point-and-click fantasy adventure game...really cool...Got this really nice British humour to it...You play as as Rincewind...worlds most inept wizard...hehehe...Nice story background...Your world is a disc planet (which is why its aptly named Discworld) on top of giant turtle flying across the infinite space...Now, tell me any games in this age who comes up with that kind of worlds? Oh, did I mention your inventory is a walking chest box?


Return to Ringworld - It's also another point-and-click adventure game. But its Sci-Fi! Notice any difference? (Ringworld, Sci-Fi? Discworld, Fantasy? I intentionally put them together...ehehehe) Its a sequel. Never played the first one, but I'll soon download it! I played the sequel when I was kid, somehow the story grips me...You know, those days when its cool to antimatter or whatever scientific names were cool? Here's the game for you...Hahaha...Although blur at first on what's happening, but there's a journal in there which helps to explain what happened in the previous game. The other cool thing is you get to somewhat control between the 3 characters in the game...Neat...


Battle Chess - This was my favourite chess game...I used to lose alot...But I like the animation when you managed to take down the enemy chess pieces...


Life & Death - This is game is not for those who have a weak stomach...LOL...Its a surgery simulation game! You know those days when you just like to operate stuff? Because it looked so damn cool when they do in the ER series? (Remember ER anyone?) Used to play this game alot...Tend to kill the patients all the time though...(Just found out NOW that you need to turn ON the antiseptic gas...hahaha...no wonder every time I poke my scalpel into them, they scream...) You have to diagnose your patients and see if they need medication, or observation, an x-ray scan perhaps...or when its necessary...OPERATE! WoohoO! Fun Fun! Gotten better in surgery...but they still die on the table though...For the life or me, I couldn't find where the hell is the appendix!


Amnesia - Now THIS is the bomb! Its a text-based game...No graphics, just text...For example, the text says you're in a hotel room and there's a phone on the nightstand...What do you do? You TYPE "Pick up phone"...The text will say you picked the phone up and ask who do you wish to call...The possibilities seems to be endless! Not only that...The story! My God!...I've never actually played any text-based games like this before...Get this: You woke up in a hotel room...and, guess what? You have no memory of who you are...I know, I know...It's so cliche...But the game just GRIPS you after you stumble out of bed...Try it out! You won't be disappointed...I haven't won it yet...Actually, I'm stuck in the middle of the streets in the middle of...urm...New York? I think...Don't know where to go...They (Reviewers of the game) say that they ask you to get a REAL map of New York (or whatever the city is...because I forgot), because the game's city is almost accurate...WOW!


Now you see why I like the classics? Graphics weren't important...The game, the story, the plot, the gameplay, the worlds, the characters, the pixels!!! LOL...It makes you glued to the game for hours!

Okay, I think I'm overreacting like a 10-year old boy here...But hey! The games those days were so much fun and entertaining!

Its not that graphics aren't important...They are, it's eye candy...Even I love looking at great real life-like graphics...But it's supposed to ENHANCE the game, not be the main feature of it...That's what I see in games nowadays, so much about their graphics that when its released, the gameplay somehow became dull or redundant. Please, focus on all areas of what makes games so much fun...the story & the gameplay. And while you're at it, bring back the adventure games...not RPGs...adventure games...Notice there aren't many left...Oh, it won't hurt putting back humour into the games...

No comments: